Activity 6: Optional Outcomes

Brochure:

Brochure Cover:

Inspiration...
I collected a few examples of brochure covers that I like the look of. I like how they put images into shapes to form some sort of pattern of interest for the cover.


This first idea uses the pattern I made as the main design element and allows the logo to be in a large size to draw eyes from far away. It doesn't however, look very professional and looks unfinished so I'm going to explore other options.

The next idea also looks unprofessional and quite tacky...

This cover shows all aspects of the Honolulu experience and still uses the pattern I want to use across my outcomes. However, it feels to busy so I'm going to look back to my inspiration for some ideas.


In my existing cover examples I liked the multi coloured cover that uses squares to I tried this pattern over an image of Honolulu and selected colours from the logo to place over the image. I think it gives a glimpse into what they can expect from Honolulu and the colours represent the life and culture the city has to offer.



Brochure Double Page Spread:


Here is a couple of image of some strong double page spreads to act as inspiration for my brochure.

I like the use of colour and patterns in this contents page and might try something similar if I have time to make a contents page.



Brochure double page spread...
This page gives some information on the bike tours available in the city. I have used a large quality image as the background and have used the round edged boxes similar to the ones on the cover.




Map:


My original idea was to design the map for a zoomed in part of Honolulu so I started building it on Illustrator. I then decided to make two maps as part of my brochure; the island of Oahu and the other of Honolulu...


To get some design inspiration I collected some images of illustrated maps. I really like the use of colour across these maps as if it is a fantasy land and as my branding consists of lots of colours I will be using colour to differentiate parts of the city.

Map 1 (Oahu):

First I traced the shape of the map of Oahu.

I then sketched the road map and the mountains of the island.

...and live traced them in Illustrator.


I added colour to the map and a gradient background to act as the water. I used the shape commonly found on maps to show key locations on the island.

I then continued to add elements that build up an image of the island with trees to show forest area and small illustrations of key locations.

I needed to show where Honolulu is on the map so I am drawing an outline around the area...

The pink line shows where Honolulu is and I have included the logo for Honolulu as an indicator.

I know it may look a little cartoony with all the illustrations and colours but Honolulu is a city that is so full of life and happiness for family I wanted to show that across my branding.

Map 2 (Honolulu):

Now for my map of just Honolulu I initially tried just having a zoomed in version of my existing map but I wanted to give it a lot more details...

I zoomed in on Honolulu through google maps to get plenty of detail and pieced together the images to get the whole map.
I then traced over the various roads and green areas to get to this outcome.

I then added colour and the names of roads and landmarks.

I added lots of the indicators showing the key locations throughout the city. I added the blue background, map key and city logo to get a cohesive look with my first map.

Here are some zoomed in shot to show the level of detail my map has...

Here is the map in my brochure mock-up...


Lampost Advertising:

Here is a mockup of some lamp post signs that would be placed around the city of Honolulu. I think that this would brighten up the streets and keep the branding cohesive across the city in order to make it more memorable.

Postcard Design:

This is a design for a postcard for tourists to buy and send to their family and friends. Including the official logo helps to advertise the city's branding across the world.