Activity 3: Initial Ideas & Development (Logo)

To start thinking about potential logo styles I tested some different typefaces to see what style could work best. Although the script typeface suits the laid back style, I don't think it is bold enough to stand out as city branding.

I quickly tried a style that Amsterdam uses for their "I AMsterdam" campaign. However, I don't feel that it suits the vibe that you want to get from Honolulu.

Here are my sketches for the logo - I really like using the 'H' as an icon that could be really memorable like the McDonald's 'M' and I think the wave shape plays to Honolulu well


My favourite idea from my sketches was the 'wave' shaped H so I wanted to try it on Illustrator that also has the tag line inside the H. However, the tag line is far too small to make an impact.

I then continued onscreen development testing out some of my sketches as well as some new ideas. My favourite concept is still the wave shaped H.

I decided to try making the 'H' an icon and having Honolulu underneath to make the wave shaped H have maximum impact. I used a more dainty thickness to suit the relaxed vibe of Honolulu.

Now with my chosen logo concept I started experimenting with tag lines and the position they are in.
I don't think the 'love your...' fits well and as there is a famous phrase "Hawaiian Time" coined in Honolulu (meaning that people in Honolulu 'take their time' and are often late) so I decided to have my tag line as 'take your time'. I also decided to loose the idea of the tag line being inside the 'H' to not over complicate the icon.


I then experimented with different colours (from my colour scheme) and stokes...



Next I tried making the text of the logo an outline as my research into their architecture and culture suited this style.

I really liked a lot of the combinations but I wanted a colour scheme that reflected the laid back nature of the city and the teal and purple combination suited that best in my opinion.


 In my research I said I liked tinted photographs so I tried out a few options - here is how I got there.


Here are the various outcomes I got out of my experimentation.

After revisiting my research I remembered how using multiple colours gives the branding many more directions and broadens the possibilities for the outcomes. So I started looking at different combinations...

I used a two tone effect to give it more dimensions and make it stand out more from a distance. I feel like it really suits the vibrant and relaxed nature of the city and its people well while having a strong brand identity. The tag line is quite difficult to read from a distance but it is a handmade script font that has a personal feel that suits the city.

I then started to experiment with how the logo and the colour scheme could connect to the city and the other branding elements. I mentioned in my research that I liked the tinted photographs so I made up this postcard with the colours from the logo laid over an image of Hawaii...

I love making patterns so I broke up my logo to get these shapes and made up a pattern that fits with the style of the logo and could be used across many identity elements and outcomes.

Here is the finished pattern...


A possible application of the pattern could be the back of the business card...